Social Emotional Development
September 14, 2016 | 9 - 1:30
Harraseeket Inn, Freeport
Background: The Maine Social Emotional Project
We know from research that is being conducted on the brains of young children that the early years are crucial and lay the foundation for later development. If children are going to succeed in school, at work and life, they also need necessary social and emotional skills.
The state of Maine and the entire country have experienced an increased reporting of child expulsion and children exhibiting challenging behaviors in the classroom. In response to community concerns, MCA invited a group together to explore issues surrounding social emotional development in children. Our goal is to generate policy discussions that address early social and emotional development and learning.
Core Social & Emotional Skills
- Regulating Behavior
- Developing empathy
- Building & Maintaining Relationships
- Coping and Managing Emotions
The Maine State Legislature’s Education Committee has asked the Maine Children’s Growth Council to explore this complex issue, gather data and develop policy recommendations. MCA will work with the Growth Council and embark on this effort together in the upcoming weeks and months. The work will be supported by the Ounce of Prevention and the National Center for Children in Poverty at Columbia University as a result of our partnership with the Alliance for Early Success.
- US DHHS National Center for Excellence in Infant and Early Child Mental Health Consultation
- CEELO: Annotated Bibliography on Expulsion
- Social Emotional Development 101 (MCA Infographic)
- Center for Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation
- Lives in the Balance
- Issue Brief: Integrating Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation with the
- Resource Compendium: What Works? A Study of Effective Early Childhood
Mental Health Consultation Programs
- Promotion of Mental Health & Prevention of Mental and Behavioral Disorders
- What Works? A Study of Effective Early Childhood Mental Health
- Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation: Research Synthesis
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) Toddler Initiative
- National Center on Health
- Watch Me! Celebrating Milestones and Sharing Concerns:
Training for Teachers
- Birth to Five: Watch Me Thrive!
- Learn the Signs. Act Early
Find more social emotional development resources here.