Early Care & Education
Federal Reserve Economist Rob Grunewald speaking to the Maine Legislative Children's Caucus about
investing in early childhood (January 10, 2017).
The early years are a critical developmental period in a child’s life – they lay the foundation for future cognitive, social and emotional development. At the Maine Children’s alliance, we want all children to have the resources, opportunities and support so they can reach their full potential and become our future leaders, workforce and parents. This starts with early access to affordable, high-quality early childhood programs that nurture and stimulate the developing brain in these crucial years.
These programs include:
- Child Care
- Public Preschool
- Head Start/Early Head Start
Fortunately, what is good for our children is also good for our economy. Research shows that investing in quality, early childhood programs yields an estimated 13 percent return on investment through improved life outcomes.
Early Childhood Resources:
- Investing in Early Childcare Programs: How Maine Benefits (Infographic)
- The Importance of Maine's Early Childhood System (MCA Infographic)
- Investing in Early Childhood Education in Maine (2015 MCA Report)
- Path to a Better Future: The Fiscal Payoff of Investment in Early
Childhood Development in Maine (Dr. Philip Trostel | UMaine)
- Invest in early childhood development: reduce deficits, strengthen Maine's
economy (James J. Heckman | University of Chicago)
- Joint Education Committee Briefing on Early Childhood Education
(Margie Wallen, Director of Policy Partnerships | Ounce of Prevention Fund)
- You Get More Than What You Pay For (Maine Ready Nation Report)
- Alliance for Early Success
- First Five Years Fund
- Maine DHHS, Office of Child & Family Services - Early Childhood Division
- Maine Head Start State Collaboration Office
**If you have any suggestions to add to our growing list of resources, email firstname.lastname@example.org.