Annual Giraffe Awards
Coming this spring: the 2017 Giraffe Awards.
“The Giraffe Awards are an opportunity to acknowledge our own capacity to make a difference for children in our state,” said Bill Cumming, board chair of the Maine Children’s Alliance. “The Giraffe Awards teach us that there is a role for all us no matter how big or how small to create enduring change for Maine children.”
Since 1996, the Giraffe Awards have recognized the unsung heroes in our community who "stick out their necks" for Maine children, youth and families. Candidates are advocates, service providers and policy-makers who routinely go above and beyond their job description. They invest precious time, energy and talent in Maine kids.Nominations are closed for the 2017 Giraffe Awards.
2015 Giraffe Award Winners
Click on the names to learn more about how they "stick out their necks" for Maine kids!
- Sue Mackey Andrews, Director's Award
- Judith Feinstein, Lifetime Achievement Award
- Jim Wellehan of Lamey Wellehan, Corporate Award
- John Woods & Full Plates, Full Potential, Organizational Award
- Nakia Dana, Passamaquoddy Tribe, Individual Award
- My Place Teen Center, Youth Award
- Donald Sanders, SAD 75, Out of the Box Award
Past winners include people working in children's mental health, youth camps, Maine businesses that have been generous to young people, volunteers, educators and many more.